Held Together

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Evenings of Advent

I was blessed this week by having two evenings out for Advent reflection and prayer time.

Monday was a potluck supper and two talks were given. The priest told us to focus on Mary this Advent. Mary lived the first Advent traveling by donkey to Bethlehem. Most woman don't want to travel to Old Navy this Advent in a van with heat, let alone by donkey many miles away from home pregnant and uncomfortable. Mary by law did not have to be in Bethlehem. She went to be with her husband. She wanted to be with St. Joseph. She loved him, but their marriage was chaste. It was a beautiful reflection.
The second talk was given by a woman who has 10 children. Yes, you read correctly. They range in age from 13 years to 8 months! Mrs. Lawler talked about the need to plan Advent when you are a mother. Yes, plan...fun to do...but can it be carried out? First, you need to plan confession and prayer time. Secondly, you plan all the "have tos" of the season. Lastly, plan a date night and fun outings and activities for the family. It was practical and doable. Two words as a mother I appreciate! :)

Tonight I went with my sister to the National Shrine of St. Therese for a St. Nicholas evening. Who doesn't want to thank St. Nicholas for appetizers, wine, a three course meal and prayer time? One of the leaders brought part of her collection of 84 nativity scenes. They were beautiful and came from all over the world. I especially enjoyed the ones from Poland since Boo and I ready about Polish Christmas customs this week!
Sister encouraged us to slow down and savor the beauty God has given us this Advent. Enjoy the stories of the season and write our own for the Lord. Breathe in Advent and give God our all. We ended by singing "O Come Emmanuel" by candlelight.

I hope this Advent I keep my focus on Mary. She always helps me keep my focus on what is truth~her son.

5 Comments:

  • Marybeth, it sounds like you had such a great evening. I love what the priest told you about focusing on Mary. Being in the Legion of Mary, she's always our focus during our works and the meeting, as she draws us to her Son. I hope to never lose my focus on her, especially in this holy Advent season. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    Have a blessed day. Ruth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:16 AM  

  • What a blessed week - and your reflections have certainly helped me.

    Advent is surely a good time to look to Mary.

    By Blogger Leonie, at 12:02 AM  

  • What a blessed week - and your reflections have certainly helped me.

    Advent is surely a good time to look to Mary.

    By Blogger Leonie, at 12:05 AM  

  • What a blessed week - and your Advent reflections have helped me. Thank you!

    By Blogger Leonie, at 12:09 AM  

  • Found your blog through the Real Learning boards....great job!

    I see we both live in IL......we're in Central IL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home