Held Together

Thursday, October 05, 2006

St. Faustina

Thirteen years ago today I went to a small convent in Krakow, Poland. At the time I was studying in Gaming, Austria. It was a weekend trip to see Krakow and Auschwitz. I wanted to spend time seeing the country were my beloved late Pontiff was born. The weekend gave me a true flavor of the hidden depths of Poland~the faith, the love of family, the kindness and strength of the people and the hidden angels who come to aid poor, bedraggled students who love Christ and the successor of St. Peter.

The weekend has come to bless my life in countless ways. St. Maximilian Kolbe, St. Faustina, Pope John Paul II...how does one country bring such a witness to our world? I am so humbled to have walked in their footsteps. May their intercession bring my family and me closer to Our Lord.

I remember tonight my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Andres, and my classmates who first learned with me about St. Maximilian and his sacrifice of his life for another prisoner at Auschwitz.
I think of my mother who first introduced me to the Divine Mercy and whom I gave my relic of St. Faustina. Remember putting it on Gil's head when he was sick?
It is with a smile on my face in which I remember Pope John Paul II raising his hands in welcome to the students of Franciscan University as we yelled, "Pope John Paul, the students of Franciscan University support you, love you and Totus Tous Maria" for at least five minutes and cheering our hearts out...then being led after the audience to meet him and take a photo. Awesome...he was truly a saint among men..his face glowed with serenity...I miss him.

Also, one tip I have about Poland...go to the fair in Krakow, eat starfish soup in Auschwitz and NEVER put your feet up on the seats in the train station in Krakow...it could ugly with the conductor...trust me!

Molly, Tara, Julie, Kathleen, Christine and Papa Joe...it was a GREAT weekend...thanks!!

1 Comments:

  • I'm sure Ambrose has the energy now! LOL! I don't want to take Boo until he can "remember" our experiences. I have relatvies heading to Rome soon their youngest being 8.5 when they go. My brother is in Europe and would love to have me visit :) so Boo would be a must for that trip! That said, my girlfriend has been to Europe three times with a toddler/preschooler and loved it! I guess the parents need to decide what they can handle or maybe depends on what part of Europe???
    I went to Spain and Portugal on my 10 day trip. We did Poland in a weekend and cried as we went back to Gaming. Love the country!

    By Blogger Mb, at 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home